Saturday, January 30, 2016

Book Review- Captain Wentworth's Diary

Captain Wentworth's DiaryFor the Shelf Love challenge and the Mount TBR Pile challenge I read Amanda Grange's novel Captain Wentworth's Diary.
Synopsis from Goodreads: The retelling of Jane Austen?s novel Persuasion from the point of view of Captain Frederick Wentworth. During his shore leave from the Navy, Frederick Wentworth falls in love with the elegant and intelligent Miss Anne Elliot only to see his hopes of marrying her dashed by her godmother. Eight years later, Wentworth has realized his ambitions. A wealthy captain, he has pushed his memories of Anne to the furthest recesses of his mind until he sees her again. And though Anne's bloom has faded, Wentworth is surprised to find that his regard for her wit and warmth has not.
I've always loved Persuasion and Anne Elliot. Wentworth was always so-so for me though. With this book though I feel like I can like him more now. I like how the book shows his friendship with his brother who is only casually mentioned in the book. That makes sense though sense he is there when Wentworth is courting Anne the first time. Which brings me to another aspect of this book I love and that would be how they show Wentworth's and Anne's courtship. The whole thing about Persuasion is how it's is their second chance at a love that neither of them has lost and while of course Captain Wentworth's Diary of course follows along with Persuasion in that respect it also goes back to their first chance. It was sweet to see their original courtship though I did think it was a little over the top in some respects. I thought it captured each character from the original story well. Overall it was quite enjoyable. :)

Follow my blog with Bloglovin

8 comments:

  1. This looks really interesting! I always wondered what Anne and Captain Wentworth's first courtship was like. I also love the picture of the cover.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Persuasion is my favorite Austen novel. While the idea of another angle to it is intriguing, I'm not sure I want to take the chance of anything interfering with my love of the novel.

    But I agree with Ekaterina that the cover is very nice.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know I went into these books with that concern but besides a few minor things I've been pleasantly pleased and surprised by the novels.

      Delete
  3. Ahhh, I quite love this book! Persuasion is also my favorite Austen novel, and yeah, this was just a joy to read. I thought the early courtship really highlighted how neither of them were really ready for a relationship yet -- they both needed to finish growing up, as it were. Loved it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That wasn't something that directly struck me but now that you mention it I think that is what I felt kind of off in their courtship. They both weren't ready.

      Delete
  4. I love the originals so much that I've typically avoided all spin-off books. But this series looks intriguing, and you certainly seem to be enjoying it. I might be able to give it a try someday... :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am shocked at how much I'm enjoying these. I'm very much an Austen purist and I did not think I would enjoy these. Sure sometimes little things annoy me but so far I'm loving this series. It's not Austen, but they're still very good and they keep well to the spirit of Austen.

      Delete

I allow anyone to comment but be aware that I reserve the right to delete your comment if I find it inappropriate. Please do not make me have to exercise that right. :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...