Tuesday, August 25, 2015

Top Ten Books That Would Be On My Syllabus If I Taught Classics 101

Today's theme for Top Ten Tuesday is top ten books that would be on my syllabus if I taught X 101. I went with classics because.... duh... this is Lois. ;) Some of these are my favorites others of these I like but they're not my absolute favorite though I think they should be included because they are great literature. I tried to include a mixture of more modern classics and classic classics.
I also included a secondary list. Because if I had this class I would give them extra credit for reading the secondary reading list. Now I really want to teach this class!

  1. Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen
  2. The Lord of the Rings by J.R.R. Tolkien
  3. David Copperfield by Charles Dickens
  4. Huckleberry Finn by Mark Twain (I prefer it to Tom Sawyer)
  5. Macbeth by William Shakespeare
  6. Beowulf by Unknown
  7. To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee
  8. Frankenstein by Mary Shelley
  9. 1984 or Animal Farm by George Orwell
  10. Anna Karenina by Leo Tolstoy
Secondary Reading
  1. Ivanhoe by Sir Walter Scott
  2. The Picture of Dorian Gray by Oscar Wilde
  3. Julius Caesar by William Shakespeare
  4. Strange Case of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde
  5. Les Miserables by Victor Hugo
  6. The Adventures of Tom Sawyer by Mark Twain
  7. Great Expectations by Charles Dickens
  8. Emma by Jane Austen
  9. Jane Eyre by Charlotte Bronte
  10. Far From the Madding Crowd by Thomas Hardy
There are obviously a LOT of great classics so of course I missed some good ones. Even though I've read so many classics there are so many I still have yet to read so just because your favorite isn't on here doesn't mean it doesn't deserve to be! Frankenstein, 1984, Animal Farm, David Copperfield, Great Expectations and Anna Karenina are not my favorites but I can appreciate them and I think they are very interesting books to look at and study.
Any you would add?

Follow my blog with Bloglovin

18 comments:

  1. I prefer Huck Finn as well! I always have liked him better, not sure why. I am surprised to say that I have actually read a fair amount of these classics. Jane Austin is still one that I need to work on. :) Fun list! Thanks for stopping by my class list earlier.

    http://hiddenstaircase.net/2015/08/25/ttt-top-ten-books-that-would-be-on-your-syllabus-if-you-taught-time-travel-101/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Excellent list! I would love to teach 1984 and Animal Farm in a class, especially with all of the allegories and connections to the Soviet period/government during the time.

    Hehe, if I taught a Shakespeare class, I'd have everyone recite Mark Antony's funeral speech from Julius Caesar. One of my favourites! :)

    My TTT

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! Teaching a Shakespeare class would be so interesting as well. You've read more Shakespeare than I but from what I've read I think it would make a fascinating class.

      Delete
  3. This is a great list! Everyone should read more classics. The Count of Monte Cristo is one of my favorites.
    Thanks for sharing!
    Amanda

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't read The Count of Monte Cristo in awhile but I recall liking it okay but it wasn't one of my favorites. Someday I should re-read it.

      Delete
  4. Great list, Lois, you definitely have some wonderful classic novels on there! Love the fact that you picked 'Pride and Prejudice', which was also at the top of my TTT list! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Basically all of my lists include Pride and Prejudice. ;)

      Delete
  5. Great List! Les Miserables, The adventures of Tom Sawyer, Julius Caesar, The count of Monte Cristo and The merchant of Venice were in my syllabus at school.

    Happy Reading!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Those are all good ones. I thought about including the Merchant of Venice but decided not to. There were so many good Shakespeare plays to chose from!

      Delete
  6. I would take this class! ;) Good lists.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Would definitely take this class - but then panic afterwards, because they're all so long! Great list :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes indeed! I picture myself exclaiming at the beginning "I'm so excited about reading all these books!" and then after the first week "Since when were these books so long?!" ;)

      Delete
  8. Classics 101? Now there's a surprise ;) of course I would only want you teaching me this! Great list of course :)

    Check out my Top Ten Tuesday list!

    Also, please take the time to enter my giveaway!

    Katrina @ Chased By My Imagination

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hee-hee, I like that you have an extra credit list here! :D You are totally ready to teach this class. ;) I'm actually maybe 60-70 pages into Great Expectations for the first time right now. It's my second Dickens novel after Bleak House, and is interesting so far!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great Expectations is super interesting but it just was not my favorite Dickens. I have troubles with anti-heroes though and I feel Pip is an anti-hero. It has been a long time since I read it though . I keep meaning to re-read it.

      Delete

I allow anyone to comment but be aware that I reserve the right to delete your comment if I find it inappropriate. Please do not make me have to exercise that right. :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...