Tuesday, June 11, 2013

My Favorite Greek Yogurt Recipes


I am obsessed, I repeat OBSESSED, with greek yogurt. Ever since I started trying to lose weight I started eating greek yogurt. It's amazing. Then I learned about using it as a substitute in recipes for the oil/fat. Amazing! So here are some of my favorite recipes using greek yogurt... and the recipe folder is always growing. 

Greek Yogurt Pancakes
Recipe makes one serving
-6 oz  Greek yogurt (I normally use plain but have used flavored in a pinch)
- 1 egg 

- 1/2 cup flour
- 1 tsp baking soda 

- 1 tsp vanilla extract 

- few dashes of salt 

- 1 tsp sugar or other sweetener (I normally don't use sweetener)
-1/4 cup milk (if too thick)
Mix ingredients together and fry delicious pancakes. OR Join me in microwaving pancakes.... another new OBSESSION!!! Just butter a plate and then pour batter on it (about half will cover a plate) and then microwave for a couple minutes. Obviously won't be crispy like a normal pancake but besides that much the same. There is no pan clean up, and no waiting for the stupid pancake to cook on both sides. It's amazing, trust me. I have pancakes most every day now.

Greek Yogurt Egg Salad
Recipe makes 2 servings.
You'll need: 
2 large eggs, hard boiled, chopped fine 
1/4 cup plain nonfat greek yogurt 
1 dill pickle spear, chopped fine 
1 tsp yellow mustard 
Salt, pepper, paprika, or other sesonings to taste 
Stir together all ingredients in a bowl until well mixed. Serve on bread, in a pita, or a wrap. 

Yogurt Biscuits
2 1/4 cups commercial or homemade self-rising flour, divided 
****For those who don’t have self rising flour… i.e. me- Self-Rising Flour (Per 1 cup flour- ½ tsp salt, 1 ½ tsp baking powder)*****
1 teaspoon salt
1 cup plain yogurt, divided
Butter, softened or melted, for finishing
****I added in milk because it was too thick, which I think was due to my using GREEK YOGURT*****
Directions
Preheat oven to 450˚
Combine 2 cups flour and salt. Set aside remaining 1/4 cup.
Add yogurt and knead into a dough. If to dry here is wear you would add milk... if too wet, add some flour.
On a floured surface pat out dough into a 1/2-1 inch thick round and then cut out biscuits. 
Place in buttered pan and bake for 10-14 minutes. 
Note- These are surprisingly delicious and you could scarcely tell they weren't the traditional biscuit.

Chicken Pasta Salad
Serves 6
8 oz whole wheat penne pasta
2 (6 oz) boneless skinless chicken breast (doubled)
1 cup halved seedless red grapes
¼ cup walnut pieces
1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
½ cup chopped celery
½ cup low fat plain greek yogurt
½ teaspoon cracked black pepper
tsp sea salt
Directions
Boil a large pot of water, adding a drizzle of olive oil to prevent the pasta from sticking. Add the pasta to the boiling water, stirring once, and cook 8 to 10 minutes, or until al dente. Strain the pasta.
While the pasta is cooking, trim the fat off the chicken, if any, and cut it into small cubes. Fill a separate, medium pot with water, and bring it to a boil over high heat. Add the chicken cubes (water should cover them), and boil for five to six minutes.
Drain both the pasta and the chicken. In a large bowl combine the pasta and the chicken with the remaiing ingredients, and mix well. Refrigerate for 20-30 minutes before serving. 
                        
Skinny Chocolate Peanut Butter Brownies
I've already posted this recipe before here. I love these so much. :)

So those are some of my favorites. I have so many more Greek yogurt recipes that I can't wait to try. Are any of y'all obsessed with Greek yogurt too? Any favorite flavors or delicious recipes? Comment below! :)




Lois Johnson, avid writer, tea drinker, and reader but first and foremost, avid Christian.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I allow anyone to comment but be aware that I reserve the right to delete your comment if I find it inappropriate. Please do not make me have to exercise that right. :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...