Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Movie Review- Emma (2009 BBC Television Drama)

As a keen lover of reading Jane Austen's novels, I also enjoy watching movie adaptations of her books. There are quite a few that are just awful and then some that are okay and then there are those very few that are just WONDERFUL!!!   I was highly recommended to BBC's television drama of Jane Austen's Emma by several people so I went into watching it expecting great things.  Unfortunately, I was disappointed.  Don't get me wrong, there were things I did like about this adaptation, really liked, but I felt like the cons outweighed the pros and that there is a better version out there.
I'll start with what I really liked about this version.  First off, I thought the Mr. Knightely was done incredibly well.  I liked him just as much as I do in the Kate Beckinsdale version of Emma (which in my humble opinion is the best movie of Emma).  As regards Mr. Knightley, I felt there were several lines he had that were really great and though not part of the book, were great additions.  I also like the portrayals of Emma's father and Mr. Weston.
Here is what I did not like.  The portrayal of Emma was completely wrong, which as she is the main character of the story, rather ruins it.  The actress acted her part far to indecorous. In that time period, NO lady would act as vulgar as this actress plays Emma.  Of course, if you are familiar with the story line of Emma you know that she is avery lively and sometimes slightly rude, but this was overtop and really unacceptable.  It isn't Jane Austen.  There a few other things that just didn't go with that time period that were not excusable if you had done any sort of research on the time period.  This is disappointing.
The adaptation wasn't horrible, but I really do think BBC made some indefensible errors.  If you are looking for a good movie version of Emma then watch the Kate Beckinsdale version.  It isn't as long as the television drama but it is true to the story and time period and an admirable adaptation.  It is Jane Austen. :)


Lois Johnson, avid writer, tea drinker, and reader but first and foremost, avid Christian.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I allow anyone to comment but be aware that I reserve the right to delete your comment if I find it inappropriate. Please do not make me have to exercise that right. :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...